Hi all

The Apache Thrift compiler is optionally using CMake already and we had
very good experience by using CMake also for the cpp library to get it up
and running on Linux-ARM, Linux-x86, Windows CE and Windows.

I like to propose CMake as an additional build system for Apache Thrift.

Goal: Extend Apache Thrift's *make cross* approach to the build system.

Due to growing field of operating system support, a proper executable
and library detection mechanism running on as much platforms as possible
becomes required. The other aspect is simplify the release process and
package generation process.

As nice side benefit of CMake is the generation of development environment
specific solution files(VisualStudio, Eclipse, Xcode, etc. ).
=> No solution files within source tree.

see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-2850

What are your thoughts?

all the best!
-roger