I would be great with i8 and byte.
I would rather we not add 'short' or 'int' aliases.
I am strongly opposed to adding a 'long' alias.

'long' on most 32-bit platforms is 32-bit.  'long' on Max and Linux 64-bit
is 64-bits, but 'long' on Win64 is 32-bits.  I would rather not have a
type system where thrift's long doesn't match the compiler's long.  I've
had to do something like 'typedef LONG int;' for other projects, and I'd
rather not do it here.

The same kind of argument can hold for 'short' and 'int', but the
platforms where those are 'unusual' sizes tend to be more unusual
themselves.  Allegedly, old Cray machines made all the primitives 64-bit,
even char.