Quoting Nobuaki Sukegawa <nsu...@gmail.com>:

Hi Keith,

Speaking about the particular case, it would make sense to me to restore
the method possibly with deprecation.
yes, if this is beneficial for Accumulo and/or other users

-roger

For the general question, agreed upon guarantee is semantic versioning
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-6.
However, since semver has nothing to say about 0.X.X releases, we have
nothing.
Obviously 0.X.X exemption is not suitable for Thrift and we're working on
1.0 release.

BTW, AFAIK 0.9.3 release is no different from other releases like 0.8.0 or
0.9.0.
I already saw a few instances where users assumed it is a bug fix release.
We'd be better off choosing a more informative number like 0.10.0 next (or
1.0.0 of course).

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 12:05 AM Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 7:11 PM, Jens Geyer <jensge...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> first and foremost, it is upon the API designer to take care of that.
> There are a number of best practices floating around, but there is
nothing
> in Thrift that really prevents you from doing things like that. Thrift
can
> help you with that

I was not specific enough.  I was not asking about an API I am creating
using Thrift. I was asking about Thrift's Java APIs.  Specifically the
removal[1] of some methods from org.apache.thrift.server.THsHaServer in the
Thrift Java   library.  This change will potentially break any code using
THsHaServer.  After seeing this change, I was wondering if the Thrift
project has makes any API stability guarantees for its libraries.

[1]

https://github.com/apache/thrift/commit/2238adabbc5317ab59ee1b13d4df4e1d4d889c73#diff-bbc5d82070c28bc757a1b64bac5f7faaL47

> process by means of the (relatively new) audit feature:
>

>    $ thrift  --audit myapi-v2.thrift   myapi-v1.thrift
>    [Thrift Audit Failure:myapi-v2.thrift] New Thrift File has missing
> function bar
>

> Have fun,
> JensG
>

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- From: Keith Turner
> Sent: Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:14 PM
> To: dev@thrift.apache.org
> Subject: API Stability Guarantees?
>

> In THRIFT-3202[1]  a method was dropped (in a bug fix release.. IMHO that
> method should have been deprecated).  Dropping that method  prevents a
> seemless upgrade for Accumulo[2] .  This problem made wonder if the
Thrift