Re

<nick.bu...@alfresco.com>wrote:
 PJ> I've tried to summarize the various use cases mentioned in your email.
 PJ> Please let me know if I have correctly captured everything.

 PJ> - *Containers that are conceptually a single document.* eg .doc (several
 PJ> named streams in an OLE2 file), or .xlsx (several named xml files in a zip
 PJ> file)

 PJ> - *Containers that are conceptually containers of many separate
documents.* eg
 PJ> a zip file with several text files in it, or a tar file with zip files, doc
 PJ> files, and text files in it.

 PJ> - *Containers that are both a single document and separate documents.* eg
an
 PJ> email with multiple parts and/or attachements, or a .doc with embedded
 PJ> spreadsheets.

 PJ> - *Single documents with metadata associated with regions of the document.
*eg
 PJ> PDF?

What about multimedia containers (ASF, OGG, etc.), that could contain data
in different formats? They conceptually look like single file, but with
different metadata

 PJ> From the point of view of reporting metadata for documents, it might be
 PJ> useful to group these use cases the following way:

 PJ> - Single documents with multiple sets of metadata
 PJ>     - Containers that are conceptually single documents
 PJ>     - PDF?

 PJ> - Containers that contain many distinct documents and/or containers
 PJ>     - Containers that are conceptually containers
 PJ>     - Containers that are conceptually documents and containers

May be it worth to separate metadata of top-level objects from metadata of
embedded objects? And allow to traverse through hierarchy of embedded
objects?  And provide several implementations, something like: collector of
metadata for all embedded objects, or collector only of top-level metadata,
etc.

This could allow to improve performance in some cases (imho), because in
some task people could need only top-level metadata, etc.

--
With best wishes, Alex Ott, MBA
http://alexott.blogspot.com/        http://alexott.net/