On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Nick Burch <nick.bu...@alfresco.com> wrote:
>> Quick query - I notice that some people are updating CHANGES.txt when they
>> close out issues. I had thought that part of the release process was going
>> through the FIXED list in JIRA to build that up, so I hadn't been doing it.
>>
>> What's the view here, should we be doing it on most things, just major
>> things, or holding off for the release manager to do it from a JIRA report?
>
> The most accurate and complete change history information should in
> any case always be found in Jira and just referenced from CHANGES.txt,
> so in my view there's no need to update CHANGES.txt for all or even
> most changes. Most notably I'd rather not have us duplicate
> information between Jira and CHANGES.txt.
>
> Instead the CHANGES.txt file is a good vehicle for pointing out
> important changes or highlighting interesting new features that
> otherwise might get lost in the noise.

I agree Jira is the "fallback" when you want to drill down and see all
the details behind a change.

But by design CHANGES will duplicate information from Jira, right?
(ie, because it's a brief summary of each change).

Or... are you saying CHANGES should not include "minor" issues?  Only
"big" ones?  And users need to go to Jira to get a complete list?

Ie this has changed from a discussion on "when should we add the
entries to CHANGES" (on committing the change vs at release time) to a
question of "what should CHANGES contain".

Mike