Hi,

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Michael McCandless
<luc...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> Or... are you saying CHANGES should not include "minor" issues?  Only
> "big" ones?  And users need to go to Jira to get a complete list?

Yes, basically. If you're doing something that you think the average
user of Tika should be aware of when upgrading, then that information
should be mentioned in CHANGES.txt. If it's a minor thing that only
affects a rare corner case, then it's IMHO better left in Jira.

That's just me though. I'm fine also with other approaches to CHANGES.txt.

> Ie this has changed from a discussion on "when should we add the
> entries to CHANGES" (on committing the change vs at release time) to a
> question of "what should CHANGES contain".

In a way yes, but those questions are linked:

If we choose to record information about all (or most) changes in
CHANGES.txt, then we should IMHO rather add a separate field to Jira
for such notes and have the CHANGES.txt generated automatically from
those records. Otherwise we essentially just maintain two different
issue trackers.

If on the other hand, as I suggest, the CHANGES.txt is more of an
edited summary of the most notable developments since the previous
release, it's best maintained manually. And while updating the file
right after making a change is a good idea for some things, for others
it may actually be better to hold back for a while to get a better big
picture of all the related changes.

For example, for 0.10 I added the following single entry shortly
before the release:

 * Handling of temporary files within Tika was much improved
   (TIKA-701, TIKA-654, TIKA-645, TIKA-153)

This IMHO gives an average user a much better overall idea of what
happened than a detailed listing of each individual change would have
done.

BR,

Jukka Zitting