Hello-

I'm in the process of ditching a custom format registry and trying to
replace it with tika MimeTypes.  For the most part things are going
pretty well.

The key things I am stuck with:
1. As is, MimeTypes#forName(String name) will get or create the
MimeType.  There is no way to ask if the MimeTypes registry already
knows about the type.

2. No way to show magic or rootXML in my UI since they are private,
final and don't have getters:
    private List<Magic> magics = null;
    private List<RootXML> rootXML = null;

What is the general philosophy in Tika on this?  Should I submit a
patch adding (read only) getters for these things?  a patch removing
final and or making the variables protected so a subclass can do what
works in my case?

In a similar question, is there interest in adding other metadata to
the core MimeType class, like URLs to documentation, or the UTI
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Type_Identifier), or a friendly
display name?

thanks
ryan