On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Nick Burch <apa...@gagravarr.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2012, Ryan McKinley wrote:
>>
>> The key things I am stuck with:
>> 1. As is, MimeTypes#forName(String name) will get or create the
>> MimeType.  There is no way to ask if the MimeTypes registry already
>> knows about the type.
>

> I think the idea is that you use the underlying MediaTypeRegistry if you
> want to have more control over this

With MediaTypeRegistry, I can get a list of all the known types and
build a parallel map.

Since

>> 2. No way to show magic or rootXML in my UI since they are private,
>> final and don't have getters:
>>    private List<Magic> magics = null;
>>    private List<RootXML> rootXML = null;
>

> Could you maybe explain why you need these?

I want to display it in our UI.  Our management UI shows information
about supported formats and I want to expose as much information on
how/why things match.  We don't want people to need to open the .xml
file to see these values, and I would rather not have to parse them
independently if that can be avoided.

>> In a similar question, is there interest in adding other metadata to
>> the core MimeType class, like URLs to documentation, or the UTI
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Type_Identifier), or a friendly
>> display name?
>

> There might be. We already have things like comments, so these might be a
> good addition
>
> Could you perhaps propose what the XML would look like for a few common
> types with this extra info it in, so we can get a better idea of what info
> you'd be adding?

Following the existing format for comments, what about something like:

<_url>http://...</_url>
and
<_uti>http://...</_uti>

For BMP, this could be:

  <mime-type type="image/x-ms-bmp">
    <alias type="image/bmp"/>
    <acronym>BMP</acronym>
    <_comment>Windows bitmap</_comment>
    <_url>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP_file_format</_url>
    <_uti>com.microsoft.bmp</_uti>
    <magic priority="50">

With URLs, it should likely support multiple entries since there are
undoubtedly formats with multiple good reference links.

My motivation here is also a debug/management UI -- but this seems
like a reasonable way to help document the formats described in
tika-mimetypes.xml

thanks
ryan