On Mon, 29 Oct 2012, Ryan McKinley wrote:
The key things I am stuck with:
1. As is, MimeTypes#forName(String name) will get or create the
MimeType.  There is no way to ask if the MimeTypes registry already
knows about the type.

I think the idea is that you use the underlying MediaTypeRegistry if you want to have more control over this

2. No way to show magic or rootXML in my UI since they are private,
final and don't have getters:
   private List<Magic> magics = null;
   private List<RootXML> rootXML = null;

Could you maybe explain why you need these?

In a similar question, is there interest in adding other metadata to
the core MimeType class, like URLs to documentation, or the UTI
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Type_Identifier), or a friendly
display name?

There might be. We already have things like comments, so these might be a good addition

Could you perhaps propose what the XML would look like for a few common types with this extra info it in, so we can get a better idea of what info you'd be adding?

Nick