Hi,

I'm a developer who has used Apache Tika in a Research Data Repository
System at The Australian National University. As part of the
requirements of the project we extended the functionality of Apache Tika
by creating a parser that extracts the headers of files in the FITS
format
(http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/PRONOM/Format/proFormatSearch.aspx?s
tatus=detailReport&id=657) using the nom.tam.fits library available at
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/heasarc/fits/java/v1.0/ .

Apache Tika already has the ability to identify FITS files (without
parsing them) as per https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-874 . Is
your team willing to review and potentially incorporate the parser into
Tika? The parser in its current form is available at
https://github.com/anu-doi/anudc/blob/master/DcShared/src/main/java/au/e
du/anu/dcbag/metadata/FitsParser.java .

Thank you,

Rahul Khanna