On Wed, 16 Dec 2015, Joey Hong wrote:
My name is Joey. I am a college freshmen with programming experience looking to get into the world of open-source. I was hoping to contribute to the Tika project, and was wondering if there were any tasks that a beginner like me could tackle. I am willing to do anything, whether it be fixing a minor bug, or adding test suites or documentation.

On the docs / examples side, we have a few examples on the website, but probably not enough! One thing might be to look through those, identify gaps with your fresh eyes, and work on those. We also have instructions for some more complicated integrations on the wiki, maybe try some of those and feed back on which ones aren't clear enough?

If you want to try more coding, Tim quite often runs Tika against some large filesets, and has a nifty tool to report on what breaks. He can hopefully point you at the most recent report! Maybe have a look through that, identify a few common failures from unidentified or common exceptions, and try to fix one or two of those?

Nick