I'm going to assume lazy consensus on the general points of this proposal
as its been a few days now since I originally posted it. I will try to
document the general aspects of what was presented here in the dev docs and
will post back here when I've done so.  I think we can take this discussion
in two separate directions at this point one for the release notes changes
and one for the web site (probably new email threads i guess). I don't
think we need to try to force any of this in for the current release that
we're dealing with. In fact I'll probably make the dev doc changes in a
branch so that they don't go in as part of this release.