I think a great way to lose developers, and not gain new ones, is to make
negative comments on the dev and/or users list, even if they are only half
serious. Or more than half serious? I can't tell. In any case, I think
TinkerPop is in a good place, and would be surprised if you truly don't
agree. There are Gremlin implementations almost everywhere there are graph
databases. To my mind, the scaffolding stage of the project -- building the
structure and filling the space -- is done. Now we have a chance to go back
and make things truly robust. Formalizing the data model, formalizing the
semantics of traversals in a way which adds power without subtracting
versatility. Building better bridges between TinkerPop-compatible graphs
and the rest of the world's data. Other, OLAPy and distrtibuted-systems-y
things I haven't thought as much about, but which others have. I think some
of the changes will require a clean break from the existing code base,
hence a new major version, but others can follow more of a
replace-and-deprecate pattern.

Josh