Costin Manolache wrote:
Why would you want to change ant ???

I don't, I am asking questions.

Re. source folders versus modules - we can have both of them, it's not
exclusive.
Single source tree makes it easy to navigate, more IDE-friendly, etc.
The build file can compile as many modules as needed - either by compiling a
subset of the tree, or by compiling the entire tree and generating
several modules.

Yes, I know.

IMO it is a bad practice to scatter sources around without very good reason.
JDK sources don't seem to be scattered in modules like 'io', 'net',
but in packages,
and modules for platform-specific stuff.

Having a single source tree would also greatly simplify the ant file,
and with eclipse
it can completely skip the compilation task ( i.e. if the ant file
uses the same build/classes
dir as eclipse, it'll detect the already-compiled classes and just
create the jars, while
eclipse can keep the source updated on save ).

Obviously, the build script would be far far simpler. Personally, I am also in favor of a single source tree, since it's simply much easier to work with.

Rémy