"Henri Gomez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
2006/4/6, Remy Maucherat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This thread started (for whatever reason) on the private list as part of
>> an unrelated discussion. The point is to see what could be improved to
>> make Tomcat more suitable for shared hosting, which is a very nice goal,
>> but unfortunately with very serious issues.
>>
>> I don't see many improvements possibilities, as I consider the following
>> solutions and problems (where each user would at least need its own
>> vhost):
>
>I see vhost as a client virtual server, where the 'client' is not a
>real / human end user but someone who ask you to host its applications
>with one or many webapps in it.
>
>> - Every virtual host gets its own appBase folder. Having its own folder
>> for JARs just won't work (or it means you were able to use the "shared"
>> folder successfully, which I doubt).
>
>What do you mean ? Did we have actually such own folder of vhosts jars
>with its own classloader ?  If not could it be done easily ?

In theory, it should be possible to inject a parentClassLoader into the
StandardHost to do this.  I don't believe that StandardHost exposes this to
JMX, so at the moment, you'd need to use introspection.  And, I've never
actually tried to do this myself ;-).  Of course, the patch to enable doing
it with JMX is trivial.