Mark,

On 10/28/15 6:42 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Many years ago, we switched all release branches to RTC primarily to
> address a community problem where we could not agree on the best way
> forward for some parts of the code.
>
> RTC served us well. The disagreements ceased pretty much instantly.
> However, RTC also slowed us down.
>
> The development of 7.0.x started as CTR with a possibility of switching
> to RTC if necessary. It never was. We chose not to switch 7.0.x to RTC
> because the community issues that made RTC necessary had been solved and
> RTC added unnecessary overhead and delay. 8.0.x and now 9.0.x progressed
> the same way. Today, only 6.0.x is RTC.
>
> I believe the use of RTC for 6.0.x is causing more harm than good. There
> are fixes I don't propose for backport to 6.0.x because of the extra
> hassle RTC introduces. I suspect others take a similar approach judging
> on the number of fixes that don't make it back to 6.0.x.
>
> I would therefore like to propose that we switch the 6.0.x release
> branch from RTC to CTR and am therefore calling a VOTE to make this change.
>
> [ ] Continue to use RTC for 6.0.x
> [X] Switch 6.0.x to CTR

I must admit I kind of like RTC for "mature" products, but on the other
hand Tomcat 7 is quite mature and it's pretty rare that something is
broken. The release process is so painless with Tomcat 7 and later and
rolling another release in case of a regression is easy.

With Tomcat 6, I would be more careful than with later release because
of these two facts:

1. Building Tomcat 6 is somewhat more tricky
2. Test-case coverage is dismal

So, while I do vote in favor of CTR for Tomcat 6, I'd say that we should
probably treat Tomcat 6 as if it were already in maintenance mode, and
only back-port security or other functionality-breaking patches.

-chris