----- Original Message ----- From: "Smith Norton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <dev@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 7:05 AM
Subject: Re: POJO Application Server for Tomcat

I am still waiting for this response. Could you please tell us why is
this specific to Tomcat?

Sorry I live on the other side of the world, I was sleeping ;)
In theory, its not, its a servlet and thus should run on any servlet container, but its one hell of a servlet, and internally there is some serious class loader stuff going on. A little like having Tomcat run inside Tomcat, if that makes sense. It also uses TC's security setup and thats preconfigured in WEB.xml and I imagine a little different on other containers, so users may find that a hassle factor.

It's certified for Tomcat really just because thats the only servlet container we use... and my way of giving back, yes I do want new comers to come to the TC mailing lists. Or let me say it this way, I could have taken the tomcat code and combined it with this servlet internally and then given it the name of some fish, but I wanted all credits to come back to TC for the servlet container... so maybe its just misguided loyalty ;)

But there is a technical reason as well, when class loaders run inside class loaders, or class loaders run inside another container, it really brings out issues with the underlying class loaders inside a container. So I feel it should be tested carefully on any other servlet container. I havnt tested on other servlet containers, because I think half of them run on TC code anyway, not much of a test, but if you want to see a container fail, try make WebStart use an RMI program, or a program that has its own class loaders... it will likely fail. When testing I actually ran TC from the source and traced into TC just to make sure classloaders were doing the right thing, they do, fortunately.

So there is a degree of caution, and a whole lot of loyalty ;)
By all means if you use something else, try it.... but I do have a feeling the security side may need a rework of the configuration, and may not work at all because it twists normal web security to protect classes, so that one can protect access to their applications.