Mladen Turk wrote:

Because it's native and the one that makes a release needs
some extra prerequisites to build it.

Part of this confusion is that projects never vote on binary
artifacts, they vote on source code releases.

Because the sources land in tags/ and a tarball, I'd strongly
consider a release vote is manditory before some binary
artifacts are shipped.  I understand the desire to make this
"easy" for the RM, and the statement that its "useless" from
outside of tomcat, but the simple fact is that this is a
released unit of code, separately versioned, determined before
the "real release" of Tomcat is designated.