As you said "An alternative would be to just define a small interface that
allows the filter to populate" ,does that mean defining an interface in the
default context for that host , and the filter can be instantiated using
servlet context for this default web app(context) and then allow users to
explicitely define how and where to map these filters........Can't we make
any arrangement so that the filter could work for all contexts in this
particular host by default ??