On 16/06/2009, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com> wrote:
> Sebb, I can't find anything that is broken. All your concerns seem invalid
> to me.

Please revisit, especially the NOTICE files.

>  Filip
>
>  sebb wrote:
>
> > On 15/06/2009, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Cleaned up and fixed.
> > >
> > >  The release is located here:
> > >  http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/jdbc-pool/v1.0.4/
> > >

> > NOTICE file is incorrect, it should read:
> >
> >  Apache Tomcat JDBC Pool
> > Copyright 2008-2009 The Apache Software Foundation
> >
> > This product includes software developed by
> > The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
> > <<<
> >
> > [e.g. See
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#notice-required]
> >
> > This assumes that JDBC Pool was first released in 2008; if not adjust
> > accordingly.
> >

>  that date is correct. The code started in 2008

So why does the NOTICE file say this?

<quote>
Copyright 1999-2009 The Apache Software Foundation
</quote>

It is also missing the following required paragraph:

This product includes software developed by

> > Two java files (ResultSet and TestException) don't have AL headers.
> >

>  These don't ship with the release

Nevertheless, they need AL headers.

> > The jar files don't have NOTICE or LICENSE files.
> >

>  Same as Tomcat, only .tar.gz and .zip have it.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

> > Releases must consist of a source archive; binary archives are optional.
> > The source archive must contain all the items needed to build and test
> > the binary archive, see:
> >

> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-contain
> >
> > Therefore the source archive needs to contain the test code.
> >

>  no they don't.
>  "test" in this case may as well be "try it out", ie, test the code itself,
> not run the test suite. We never ship our test suites.

Again, as others have pointed out, this is not the practice elsewhere
in ASF projects.

> > It's not essential, but it's helpful if the jar MANIFEST.MF files
> > contain the following:
> >
> > Built-By:
> > Implementation-Title:
> > Implementation-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation
> > Implementation-Vendor-Id: org.apache
> > Implementation-Version:
> > Specification-Title:
> > Specification-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation
> > Specification-Version:

> > It might be useful to include the Javadoc in the binary archive.
> >
> > The build.xml defines compile.source=1.5, however some of the classes
> > require 1.6, for example SlowQueryReport uses the generic form of
> > OpenType which was only introduced in 1.6.
> >

>  not part of the release

 It's in the archives you published.

E.g. in  apache-tomcat-jdbc-1.0.4.zip/tomcat-jdbc-src.jar

> > The build file relies on the following files for testing, however
> > there is no indication where these are to be obtained:
> >
> > c3p0-0.9.1.2.jar
> > mysql-connector-java-5.0.7-bin.jar
> >

>  not part of the release.

The build file is a required part of the release.