On 19/06/2009, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> sebb wrote:
>  > The source archives mostly agree with the tags, however there are code
>  > changes in the following files:
>  >
>  > connectors/http11/src/java/org/apache/coyote/http11/Http11Processor.java
>  > connectors/util/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/buf/CharChunk.java
>  > connectors/util/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/http/ServerCookie.java
>

> That happens automatically as part of the build process and is expected.

OK, I see.

It would be better if the changes were made to temporary copies of the
source files, but that's not essential given that the version is
rather old.

>  > [I can provide a diff listing if required]
>

> No need, I know exactly what has changed in those files.
>

>  > Unfortunately, I think I have found another problem, which is that the
>  > README file needs to mention the TSU exception:
>  >
>  > http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html#inform
>  >
>  > [This presumably applies to all the later Tomcat versions as well]
>  >
>  > Sorry, I should have noticed this before as IMO it is a release blocker.
>

> Having read http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html#inform, it makes clear
>   that this requirement is <quote>self imposed</quote>. Therefore I
>  propose that we take a little bit of latitude and do the following
>  (assuming this gets the votes to pass)
>  - include the text in the announcement e-mail
>  - add the text to the README (post tag)
>  - put the updated README in the download directory (currently it just
>  includes the release notes)
>
>  I think this meets the spirit of our self-imposed requirement without
>  needing to re-roll the release.

I'm not 100% convinced.

It might be an idea to ask this question on legal-discuss.

>  What I will do is update those read me files now, so the changes are in
>  place for the next releases.

+1

>  > There ought really to be NOTICE files alongside the LICENSE files in
>  > the jasper and servletapi SVN trees (SVN is a form of distribution).
>

> I think that is a grey area. I see where you are coming from but I don't
>  propose to do anything about this for the 4.1.40 release. Post the svn
>  re-org that will follow the final 4.1.x release, we can revisit that.

OK, but if there is any need to re-roll the release I think the NOTICE
files should be added to SVN.