2009/6/16 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> The (updated) candidates source tarball and derived binaries are
> available here:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/dev/dist/apache-tomcat-4.1.40/

Minor issues:
a)
When installing apache-tomcat-4.1.40.exe,
the installer dialog page that allows to specify port number and
name/password for the administrative user has wrong dimensions for
those three input fields.

It looks like their height is twice than necessary.

They do work. It is just their look that is strange.

b)
"Tomcat Home Page" shortcut, created in the Programs menu by the
Windows installer, points to
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat

c)
http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/cal/login.html
http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/cal/calendar.html
These two pages display license text on top of the page
That license comment should be <!-- .. -->, not /* ... */

d)
http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/snp/snoop.html
The show source link is incorrect and images in the right top corner
do not load (the links on them are ok).

The source link:
Wrong one: http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/snp/snoop.jsp.html
Should be: http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/snp/snoop.txt

The images:
Wrong srcs:
http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/images/return.gif
http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/images/execute.gif
Should be:
http://localhost:8080/examples/images/return.gif
http://localhost:8080/examples/images/execute.gif

e)
There could be <%@ page session="false" %> in ROOT/index.jsp, like in
TC 5.5 and later.

Open a browser, and visit the following three pages, in order:
http://localhost:8080/index.jsp
http://localhost:8080/examples/servlet/SessionExample
http://localhost:8080/examples/servlet/CookieExample

The CookieExample page shows that there are two session cookies sent
by the browser.
I have not noticed any problems because of this extra session cookie.

Changing the ROOT/index.jsp as I wrote, removes this extra cookie.

f)
http://localhost:8080/index.jsp
Copyright years in the bottom right corner of the page could be
1999-2009, not -2002.

g)
exe installers do not install RELEASE-NOTES-4.1.txt file, neither in
the root folder nor into the docs. (The rest of *.txt files are
present in tomcat-docs webapp).

Though, to be fair, if you select option to install TC sources, you
will get it in src/container.

>From what I see in the sources, it is not a build error that this file
is missing, It is just how it is implemented.

All examples do work. Admin and manager applications do work. Zip and
tgz distributions match each other.

None of the above mentioned glitches affects Tomcat functionality.

My vote:
> According to the release process, the release based on the 4.0.40 tag is:
> [x] Stable

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko