On 02/16/2010 09:56 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

I don't see why the current set of valid cluster nodes could not be
passed back via a header.

Exactly.

That raises the interesting question of if a node goes down, which
component will notice first? The proxy or the cluster? With long
timeouts in the proxy, there is a good chance the cluster will notice
quite some time earlier so there is a definite advantage to this.

Both mod_jk and isapi_redirect have now watchdog logic that can
ping backends on regular intervals without user intervetion so
the latency will be around 60 seconds which is IMO acceptable for
node maintenance.
Httpd 2.3+ has mod_hartbeat and mod_watchdog so this can easily
be ported to mod_proxy_ajp/http

The other thing it potentially allows is the cluster to tell the proxy
about which nodes are in the cluster, allowing a more dynamic
configuration. Not sure I'd want to use that in production, but in dev
that could be useful.

Hmm, the zero conf is actually more desired in production then in
dev environments since it allows single point of admin and no need
for webserver reconfig.

Regards
--
^TM