On 28/04/2010 23:05, buddhika chamith wrote:
Hi Mark,

Just wanted some suggestions on the approach I would take. Currently I am
examining mbean details by the plan which is based on Tomcat pacakages. What
I normally do is to look at the mbeans descriptor and check in the described
mbeans whether all the required attributes and methods are properly exposed
and correctly mentioned in the descriptor file. I just went through
org.apache.catalina descriptor without much of a trouble with some minor
modifications which I would attach as a patch in Bugzilla so that you can
review it.

That sounds great. Part of the community bonding process is getting an understanding of what the Tomcat dev community expects of patches (in terms of format, size, coding style etc) so if you have a patch / some patches ready to go then please do open a Bugzilla for these. It probably makes sense to keep all of the descriptor fixes in a single Bugzilla and attach multiple patches. How you break these patches down is up to you in the first instance. Per package is one option but if the changes for a package are very big / very small it may make sense to split the fixes for a package into multiple patches / include the fixes for several packages in one patch. Getting a sense of what is the 'right' size for one of these patches is part of what this process is all about.

Do you have any other idea on how this should be done? (e.g: Have you got
any specific major improvement ideas related to JMX that I should look in to
first)

I think your current plan is a good place to start. I'd suggest starting with that and seeing how things are going after a couple of weeks. If you are way ahead or way behind the plan after a few weeks then we can reconsider things then.

I do have some changes I am working on at the moment for Lifecycle init()/destroy() that will impact MBean registration and de-registration but it should not affect your work on the descriptors.