On 18/10/2010 16:04, Sylvain Laurent wrote:
> Actually Glassfish does not differentiate between implicit and explicit
> mappings. There's just a test on the servlet-name : When determining the
> wrapper to use for a welcome file, if the physical file is not found, it
> checks for servlet mappings. If there's such a match, it also checks that the
> servlet name is different from "jsp" (overridable by a System property).
>
> their source is here :
> https://grizzly.dev.java.net/source/browse/grizzly/trunk/code/modules/utils/src/main/java/com/sun/grizzly/util/http/mapper/Mapper.java?view=markup
>
> I believe we could do the same hack in tomcat 7. The spec might not be very
> clear but that behavior avoids big surprises for current applications...

Something along those lines is certainly going to be the way we need to
handle this until the EG updates the spec to say what they meant it to
say rather than what it currently says.

Options look like:
1. system property / context option to enable/disable this behaviour for
JSP servlet
2. system property / context option to enable/disable this behaviour for
all wildcard mapped servlets
3. system property / context option to enable/disable this behaviour for
a user defined set of servlets

My preferences (without looking at the code) is for 3 is that doable
without an undue amount of complexity. Then 2. Then 1.