Tim,

On 12/2/11 11:19 AM, Tim Funk wrote:
> Sounds like a job for a LifeCycleListener. (and therefore easy to backport)

I'm concerned about back-porting because anyone starting with Tomcat
7.0.x will not likely have such a version number, and we don't want to
complain that the version number is missing if those users have been
doing what they are supposed to be doing. That is, I won't want a 7.0.23
-> 7.0.24 upgrade to suddenly complain that the server.xml is incompatible.

I'm not sure there's a good way to detect 6.0 -> (say) 7.0.24 as being
distinct from 7.0.23 -> 7.0.24.

The only way I can see to avoid that would be to scan the entire
server.xml looking for "suspicious" things from previous versions and
complain about those... which seems like it would be a) a waste of (our)
time b) fraught will difficulty and c) couldn't catch many cases anyway.

I'm definitely open to suggestions, though.

-chris