2011/12/2 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
> All,
>
> This may be a waste of time, but it's worth suggesting IMO.
>
> We have lots of users who try to upgrade between major versions of
> Tomcat by simply installing the new Tomcat somewhere, copying their
> configuration over (primarily server.xml), dumping their webapps into
> webapps/, starting the server, and then running to the users' list when
> it doesn't work.
>
> I was thinking that we could add a "version" attribute to server.xml's
> <Server> element that could allow Tomcat to bomb on startup if the
> version wasn't correct/compatible.

-1

1. I strongly dislike relying on any numbers in such a feature. As
people say, you should not rely on numbers, but on the features that
are available.

2. It is social problem. You cannot teach people with this feature.
People will always be smarter than your tool.

I'd suspect that the first thing that most people faced with such
problem will do is to edit the number. They wouldn't read the docs.

3. It does not prevent someone from Googling ancient articles and
copying parts of config from there.

(Someone cited an article from year 2001 just recently. Surprisingly
it was still relevant - that part of Servet spec did not change much).

4. Version number can be changed by vendor or by site Admin.

Speaking of "relying on features":
-  Tomcat 6 server.xml should not start with Tomcat 7, because some
LifeCycle listener implementations were removed.
- Tomcat 5.5 and 6.0 differ in loader configuration in catalina.properties

How about mentioning your issue somewhere in the FAQ? Though I think
it is already mentioned on
http://apache.org/migration.html

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko