Konstantin,

> 2011/12/2 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
>>
>> I was thinking that we could add a "version" attribute to server.xml's
>> <Server> element that could allow Tomcat to bomb on startup if the
>> version wasn't correct/compatible.
>>

> -1
>
> 1. I strongly dislike relying on any numbers in such a feature. As
> people say, you should not rely on numbers, but on the features that
> are available.

While I agree in theory, it's almost a guarantee that using a server.xml
from some other major-version of Tomcat will result in a broken Tomcat
or at least one that won't start properly.

> 2. It is social problem. You cannot teach people with this feature.
> People will always be smarter than your tool.

Or dumber :)

> I'd suspect that the first thing that most people faced with such
> problem will do is to edit the number. They wouldn't read the docs.

That's one reason I suggested using a somewhat opaque version "number"
rather than just saying "7.0" or whatever. It might force them to read
the docs.

> 3. It does not prevent someone from Googling ancient articles and
> copying parts of config from there.

Agreed.

> 4. Version number can be changed by vendor or by site Admin.
>
> Speaking of "relying on features":
> -  Tomcat 6 server.xml should not start with Tomcat 7, because some
> LifeCycle listener implementations were removed.

That's precisely the case I'm trying to cover, here.

> - Tomcat 5.5 and 6.0 differ in loader configuration in catalina.properties

Same here.

> How about mentioning your issue somewhere in the FAQ? Though I think
> it is already mentioned on
> http://apache.org/migration.html

http://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html does not contain the string
"server.xml", though I haven't through the actual text -- just searched
for server.xml. I'd be happy to take a look at the guide and make some
additions.

-chris