On Feb 29, 2012, at 11:37 AM, sebb wrote:

> On 29 February 2012 19:15, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Perso, I prefer using something which read pom and generate
>> automatically N&L from metadatas rather than maintaining those files
>> manually (for me manually means you always missed to add/modify :-) )
>> (but sure it's my POV)
>
> AFAICT that just moves the work from maintaining the N&L to creating
> and maintaining the metadata.
>
> It also means that the N&L files are not present in SVN (unless they
> are checked in after generation).

My preference here is also to have them generated. We want the metadata in the
project descriptor to be valid anyway, and maintaining the templates for
LICENSE and NOTICE would be handled by maintainers of the Apache resources. We
don't have any dependencies requiring a notice, and if we do this should be
covered with append-resources.

The files wouldn't be in SVN but will be in the distributed archives. Having
this done automatically rather than by configuring each archiver will be easier
to keep straight.

--
Jeremy