This isn't going to be quite as simple as I first thought.

The WebSocket client API requires Java SE 7 or later.
The WebSocket server API requires Java EE 6 or later.
Java EE 6 requires Java 6 or later.
The WebSocket server API depends on the WebSocket client API.

The WebSocket client implementation makes extensive use of new Java 7
non-blocking IO features.

My conclusion from the above is that the back-port is going to require
Java 7. That begs the question how to do that while keeping the main
build Java 6 based.

My (untested) plan is as follows:
- Create a WebSocket module
- Back-port (i.e. copy) the trunk code to that module
- Build just that module with Java 7
- Make the minimum changes necessary to get it to work
- Modify the back-ported SCI so it only adds the filter if Java 7 is
detected (going to need to ensure the SCI is executable on Java 6)
- Ship Tomcat 7 with the WebSocket JARs

Comments?