Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net> wrote:

>On Aug 15, 2013, at 5:47 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

>> My (untested) plan is as follows:
>> - Create a WebSocket module
>> - Back-port (i.e. copy) the trunk code to that module
>> - Build just that module with Java 7
>> - Make the minimum changes necessary to get it to work
>> - Modify the back-ported SCI so it only adds the filter if Java 7 is
>> detected (going to need to ensure the SCI is executable on Java 6)
>> - Ship Tomcat 7 with the WebSocket JARs
>>
>> Comments?
>
>Sounds workable. Not ideal. But workable.

Indeed. I'm currently unsure how I am going to handle the incompatible
upgrade mechanisms at this point. Side by side would be simplest but it
depends on what that does to the low level connector code.

>Getting the SCI compiled to be executable shouldn't be a problem. Just
>compile the module -source 1.6 -target 1.6 on Java 7. As long as you
>don't use Java 7 language features, you can still compile against the
>APIs.

The Java 7 features used are minimal ( <> and multi-catch). I'd prefer
to keep them to make keeping the code in sync with 8 simpler but that
would create a more "interesting" build. I guess they'll be being removed.