On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 21:46 +0100, Michael Stahl wrote:
> but regarding IDEs, Bjoern just yesterday tried loading the sw module
> and
> the inc directory from the solver into some IDEs...
> iirc, visual studio parsed the headers for half an hour, and was then
> unusably slow; netbeans (with some gigabytes of heap) was barely
> usable.
>
> does anybody really use an IDE for developing OOo?
> from what i know people use text editors, or they use an IDE basically
> like a text editor.

I use SlickEdit, which some people regard as IDE, though the SlickEdit
developers themselves insist on calling it a text editor because it
doesn't require you to create a project before you are able to edit
files.

I'm probably biased since I used to work for them, but from a variety of
IDEs and IDE-like text editors I've tried, SlickEdit is the only one
that can handle C++ projects the size of OOo.  Eclipse comes close, but
its handling of C++ is rather limited, and it takes a long time for it
to start up.

Oh BTW, SlickEdit can tag source files inside, say, sw in less than a
minute or a few minutes depending on the speed of your machine.

But there is still a reason why you may want to create a solution file
for Visual Studio even if you don't use it for hacking.  Many developers
use whatever IDE's or text editors they have faith in, and use Visual
Studio just for building the project on Windows.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida - OpenOffice.org Engineer - Novell, Inc.
<kyosh...@novell.com>