On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:37:59 +0200
Jussi Pakkanen <jpakk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM, bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems
> - Hamburg Germany <bjoern.michael...@sun.com> wrote:
> > One dependency less (because you will need an additional "native"
> > build system like GNU make or MS Build anyway).
>
> Well yes, but you add a build-dependency to Python (if there isn't one
> already, I don't know).

In a way there is, because of Mercurial. But I am also uncomfortable to
depend on Python for the build.

> Even if you ignore that, there is a dependency to either an external
> build tool or to a custom build script thing. Choosing which way to go
> should be naturally done by the people who have to use/maintain them.

See my reply to Thorsten. I think the translation from a simple syntax
to the makefile syntax is possible with quite a few tools we will
already have as a dep, for example:
- bash or even POSIX sh
- the C preprocessor
- GNU make itself

> No, CMake is a replacement for Autoconf + Automake. Neither "builds
> anything by themselves" but rather produce output for a lower level
> tool (e.g. Make).

A modern Make does not have to be low level at all.

> Using CMake only for configuration is doing things very wrong. I guess
> you could do it if you really, really wanted to but it is going to be
> hard and counterproductive.

"One job, one tool" has been proven time and again to be a Good
Thing(tm). But that is a philosophical -- or even sophistic --
discussion we should postpone until all editor flamewars have been
resolved. ;)

Best Regards,

Bjoern

 Sitz der Gesellschaft: