On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM, bjoern michaelsen - Sun Microsystems
- Hamburg Germany <bjoern.michael...@sun.com> wrote:

>> What is the benefit you get from this instead of using something like
>> CMake that already has a mature implementation of this functionality?

> One dependency less (because you will need an additional "native"
> build system like GNU make or MS Build anyway).

Well yes, but you add a build-dependency to Python (if there isn't one
already, I don't know).

Even if you ignore that, there is a dependency to either an external
build tool or to a custom build script thing. Choosing which way to go
should be naturally done by the people who have to use/maintain them.

> I would consider that to be an option. Actually I think it is wrong to
> describe CMake as a build system as it does not build anything itself.
> CMake is a replacement for autoconf and should be considered as such in
> first place.

No, CMake is a replacement for Autoconf + Automake. Neither "builds
anything by themselves" but rather produce output for a lower level
tool (e.g. Make).

Using CMake only for configuration is doing things very wrong. I guess
you could do it if you really, really wanted to but it is going to be
hard and counterproductive.

> That being said, I have seen the GNU makefiles that are
> being generated by CMake and their readability is horrible. If
> something goes wrong there, it is really hard not only to debug the
> makefile (for bugs in cmake itself), but it is also hard to just "trace
> the error" from the errormessage of the native build system to the
> sources (for bugs in the description given to cmake).

This is a fair point. Anecdotally, I have used CMake on several
different projects and have never had the need to look into the
generated files, they have just worked. Then again, OOo has the
tendency to break tools just by its sheer size. :)