Jussi Pakkanen wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Thorsten Behrens <t...@openoffice.org> wrote:
>
>>> functionality? Even if CMake eventually turns out to be too slow,
>>> would it not make more sense to write your own custom CMake back
>>> end rather than the configuration/generation front end?
>>>
>> I guess it's now my turn to ask for sample code here. ;)
>
> For a backend? No, sorry. I have never looked into that.
>
> But the issue raised earlier was that because CMake's Makefiles are
> recursive (or something) they are too slow, probably because automake
> does it this way and is slow. I personally do not think this will be
> an issue. When running on Windows, the time taken by makefiles when
> changing directories is insignificant compared to the time taken by
> the compiler. But I have only tried it under Virtualbox and not at all
> thoroughly.

The problem is not because the makefiles "are" recursive. The problem is
that it looks if CMake does not offer a way to include all makefiles of
the whole project (or at least larger parts of it if you think about a
split build) into a single process without clashing of target names.

So the only way to reuse CMake makefiles for a complete build is
recursively calling them or - as we do today in OOo - serialize the
process. I don't think that this is a matter of performance per se, it's
just that the benefit is missing we wanted to get from the new "single
make process" approach.

Regards,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "nospamfor...@gmx.de".