On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 11:10 AM David Neuman <david.neuma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Individual developers and those that merge their PRs should be responsible
> for developing and testing the `goose down` portion of a migration, this
> does not change.
> The whole argument is that relying on goose down for rollbacks is less than
> ideal because you have to run it 1 time per migration that was applied
> during an upgrade.  This is why Rawlin is proposing a different solution of
> creating a database snapshot and upgrade time that can be used in case of
> rollback.

Yes, that is correct. Ideally we should plan to include basic up/down
DB migration testing within the CI, so that we at least know that the
migration SQL will run without error on a representative set of data
(Kabletown).

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 10:56 AM Gray, Jonathan <jonathan_g...@comcast.com>
> wrote:
>
> > If we're removing goose down from the downgrade procedure, but still
> > requiring support for it, doesn't that just make finding issues with it
> > more difficult since fewer use cases would use that codepath?

There will be two different supported procedures:
1. the `goose down` way
2. the `pgrestore` way

Ideally we will have basic, automated test that test both of those
procedures to exercise those codepaths.