I gave it a try and it found the same problem. It looks like it is not
expected that the junit jar to be specified amongst dependencies but in the
$ANT_HOME/lib folder... I've added the build.test.classpath to the
test-junit-present target and tests are working now.

  <target name="test-junit-present">
    <available classname="junit.framework.Test" property="junit.present">
<classpath refid="build.test.classpath"/>
    </available>
  </target>

After that, at the package target I'm getting "maven-build.xml:250:
Attributes must have name and value" and I cannot find what it's all about.