The applies to processing actually does end up working on
endpoints/endpoint references. It has to operate against the composite
model since it is XPath based, but when we find policies that need to
be removed from a service, reference, etc, we remove them from the
corresponding endpoint or endpoint reference.

There is currently a bug here that surfaces when there are multiple
endpoints or endpoint references under a service/reference. It's only
removing the policies from one of the endpoints in this case. I'm
going to commit a fix for this shortly.

Brent