I just asked INFRA on Slack about this. Daniel Gruno said the page
linked below is very outdated, git repos at ASF are no longer
experimental (as the page title suggests) and that all current info
can be found here:

  https://gitbox.apache.org/

Considering that the gitbox URL above even explicitly mentions

  Link GitHub and ASF accounts (required to push to GitHub)

I assume that the "push only to ASF" repos rule provided on the outdated
page is no longer relevant. The gitbox page says nothing about having to
cut releases from the ASF mirror. In fact, it says

"""
People that do not wish to utilize GitHub may continue using thier ASF
credentials to push code to gitbox.apache.org - we do not mandate use of one of
the other.
"""

So my understanding would be that there is no reason why not to cut releases
from a clone originally made from GitHub.

Mind that since master is protected, we cannot run releases directly against
it.
A branch for the release needs to be created, the release needs to be run in
that
branch and the branch can be merged into master when the release is completed.

-- Richard