On 3. Sep 2019, at 23:55, Marshall Schor <m...@schor.com> wrote:

> Any reason not to delete these?  or is there another "best practice" way to
> manage these?

Not that I know of.

> I assume deleting them makes them disappear from this list, but they'll always
> be around in the repo and digging thru some logs can find them, right?

If the branches have not been merged and are deleted, I believe that git is
allowed to garbage-collect them. This doesn't happen immediately, but
eventually.

If they have been merged, then the commits are preserved when the branch is
deleted,
but the information at which commit a branch was when it was deleted is afaik
gone.
I don't think that branch deletions are per-se logged anywhere in the repo.

If they are unmerged but still important enough to keep around, I'd maybe
suggest to
rename them to "attic/XXX" so they are "out of the way". Graphical git clients
have
the habit of using the slashes in branch names to organize branches into a
"folder"
hierarchy. Giving those branches a common prefix therefore makes it easy to
collapse
them.

-- Richard