On 3. Sep 2019, at 23:12, Marshall Schor <m...@schor.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure about the value of this; it feels more complex, and the benefits
> are not clear to me.

Besides being able to bulk-protected all branches with a common prefix
(using some "XXX/*" pattern), graphical git clients also have a habit
of using the slashes in branch name to organize them into folders.
Thus it makes it easier to find a certain branch if there is a naming
convention.

I have also learned/adopted such conventions more recently, but I find them
useful
as they nicely organize things and help me to find them.

The convention I have learned is to use "feature" to mark feature branches and
"bugfix" to mark bug fix branches, also to include the issue ID in the branch
name
and the description, e.g. (fictional)

  bugfix/1323-NPE-being-thrown-on-close-button
  feature/4213-Add-profile-icons

Cheers,

-- Richard