On 2024/02/19 21:12:39 Claude Brisson wrote:
> On 19/02/2024 21:34, Michael Osipov wrote:
>
> > On 2024/02/19 20:25:45 Claude Brisson wrote:
> >> Version numbers are advertized and are supposed to be coherent. We don't
> >> care that the tags are public, they are not advertized. I didn't say
> >> that you had to reuse the tag. The tag can be named 2.4-RC2. You don't
> >> have to rename anything, or did I miss something?
> > I cannot follow. What am I supported to do with 2.4-RC2? I cannot supply
> > this to Maven Release Plugin otherwise it will bein the POM and in the
> > repo. This is already on master and shouldn't appear again:
> > https://github.com/apache/velocity-engine/commit/5d9e48ca0f1776300f1cf07199eb79c34dbe9cb7
> >
> > Git tag and version in POM have to be consistent.
>
> They are supposed to be consistent, that's why the tag you put to call
> the vote should be in the form 2.4-RCx. Otherwise, there would be a hole
> in the versioning each time there is a failed vote. Because the RC tag
> was named 2.4, you cannot reuse it, so let's use another tag, it's not a
> big deal.
>
> I don't understand the point with the maven plugin. The plugin -or its
> use- has to adapt to the chosen versioning, not the opposite.
>
> >   I don't see how this can be achieved.
>
> I'm sure that there's a way of doing it. If not, you can still erase the
> 2.4 tag, after all. I mean, releasing the 2.4.1 *without* having
> released the 2.4 is... weird. There must be a way.
>
> >   Moreover, that version needs to land as source release zip on ASF dist
> > area. The zip content cannot be x-RCy.
>
> On that, we agree. The RC life span *is* the vote.

I use this one [1] sans the part which does not apply to Velocity TLP to comply
with ASF release requirements. If there is a documentation for the Velocity
project which does not have more manual steps compared to the [1], I will
happily do it, but I don't want to waste my time for unnecessary juggling. I
rather invest it in making the code base better. [1] works very well for the
entire Maven ecosystem and is followed by Maven devs, I don't see why I cannot
apply to ther ASF Java-centric TLPs.

Please note that the entire Maven Site Plugin ecosystem relies on Velocity
Engine and Tools, so this is why I want to move this one forward and in greater
for the entire OSS community.

Michael

[1]
https://maven.apache.org/developers/release/maven-project-release-procedure.html