Same here :
-1 to 1.6 dependencies in Wicket core.
+1 to additional 1.6-dependent features in separate jars.

"Snow Leopard didn't install JDK 5 on my laptop" is not a valid excuse to
let down about 3/4 of the industry users, and neither is "it's free so they
cannot complain".

Now, if some JDK6-only features are needed (Service Provider Interface,
webservices, etc.), a separate branch will be fine. Spring did it for years
with the Java 5 features.