My personal experience is like Martin Sachs' one.
So far the projects I was working on never used the pre-build rich
components because they didn't fit the "company standards" either because
of the used technology or because of the UI mismatch.

I think the current YUI datetime component needs a change because:
- it uses YUI 2.x which is no more supported
- Wicket comes with jQuery by default and using YUI for a widget just
contributes to the slower responses

Why I think Apache Wicket doesn't need its own date component ?
Because there are several out there already (wiquery, wicket-jquery-ui,
wicket-bootstrap, jqwicket, jwicket, ....)

Maybe we should adopt some of those ?
If we decide to do that then we have to invite their developers too because
at the moment we have no resources to maintain it ourselves.

Few months ago I was in favour of jQueryUI, lately I like Twitter Bootstrap
more and more, and I'm not sure what new fancy JS UI library will arise
next year, that's why I think Wicket should not provide "default" UI
widgets by itself. The above listed libraries do this good enough. Some
users prefer WiQuery, other - Wicket Bootstrap, third prefer to make their
own components ...

--
Martin Grigorov
jWeekend