If we take that view everyone rolls their own and repeats the same thing.
While I've added new components I'd rather use pre packaged ones, swapping
out the components for alternates as and when we need to for improved
functionality / appearance.

When learning / working with a framework I don't want to spend time
wondering if my code isn't working because of a home made component but
rather assume the up to date packaged components work and its likely my
usage that's at fault. I have this confidence for textfield,
dropdownchoice, datatable etc. but not for the JS based ones.

Some of the other libs aren't kept up to date. If one of those jquery ui
based libs was built immediately after Wicket builds it would help.  I've
already hit odd behavior with wiquery and wicket 6.3 which was resolved by
using the latest jquery-ui ultimately removing wiquery. I'd rather not do
that.

As a framework trying to appeal to a broad base of users I think we should
provide a good base of components.  The flexibility of Wicket is already
there - if you know how to use it - but there's quite a learning curve.

Jquery-ui vs bootstrap vs another doesn't matter to me - as long as I can
get something functional as soon as I can and then worry about tweaking
components later on. If wicket-bootstrap was to become a core supported lib
then I'd switch my current project purely from a support standpoint and
belief that as a core lib it would have broader usage, generate more
questions etc.

Why don't we put together a survey to ask folks?