Hi,

After upgrading to Cassandra 1.1.0, I am facing some issue when starting
the Cassandra server.

This is the exception

[2012-04-27 19:31:38,740]  INFO {org.apache.cassandra.db.Memtable} -
 Writing Memtable-go@1431496612(656/820 serialized/live bytes, 12 ops)
[2012-04-27 19:31:38,745] ERROR
{org.apache.cassandra.service.AbstractCassandraDaemon} -  Exception in
thread Thread[FlushWriter:1,5,main]
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
org.xerial.snappy.SnappyNative.maxCompressedLength(I)I
 at org.xerial.snappy.SnappyNative.maxCompressedLength(Native Method)
at org.xerial.snappy.Snappy.maxCompressedLength(Snappy.java:316)
 at
org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.SnappyCompressor.initialCompressedBufferLength(SnappyCompressor.java:42)
 at
org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.CompressedSequentialWriter.<init>(CompressedSequentialWriter.java:63)
at
org.apache.cassandra.io.compress.CompressedSequentialWriter.open(CompressedSequentialWriter.java:34)
 at
org.apache.cassandra.io.sstable.SSTableWriter.<init>(SSTableWriter.java:91)
at
org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilyStore.createFlushWriter(ColumnFamilyStore.java:1848)
 at org.apache.cassandra.db.Memtable.writeSortedContents(Memtable.java:281)
at org.apache.cassandra.db.Memtable.access$600(Memtable.java:48)
 at org.apache.cassandra.db.Memtable$5.runMayThrow(Memtable.java:318)
at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:30)
 at
at
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

This issue comes from snappy-java-1.0.4.1 library and it might be because
it uses a native library (libsnappyjava.so) and there are some issues when
it try to load that native library in osgi environment.

According to this [1] previously it didn't work with tomcat too. but they
have done some hack to get it work.

Does anybody know how to overcome this issue?

[1] http://code.google.com/p/snappy-java/issues/detail?id=21

Thanks,
KasunW

--