Hi Nirmal,

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Nirmal Fernando <nir...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Ishara,
>
> This will be a very useful feature for MB.
>

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Ishara Premadasa <ish...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is an update on  Feature#1207 [1], adding queue browsing ability
>> into MB. The following is the final outcome of the feature implementation
>> and this will be released with the upcoming MB 2.1.0 release.
>>
>> With queue browsing the user is capable of viewing the JMS Messages'
>> details inside particular queue, including message attributes, properties,
>> content type etc. and in addition the complete message body content can be
>> viewed for each message as shown in the screen shots attached below.
>>

> However, as a topic browser, I'd love to see following information too.
>
> * Publisher's IP/port
> * Subscribers' IP/port, and the subscribers whom not yet received the
> message.
> * Message size

Actually we are working on providing more features support for the MB admin
console with the new release. However about a Topic browser, as i
understand you can't browse the messages in a topic because they are sent
to all subscribers immediately and don't get stored on the broker storage,
unlike a queue where the messages are stored when receiver is offline.
Therefore i don't think that we are able to get the message content
published for a topic. May be Shammi or Hasitha can correct me if  i am
wrong :)

> Also, what is 'delivery mode' attribute? Is it something I configure? Is
> it possible to use the meaningful string interpretation instead of an
> integer?

According to the JMS spec 'delivery mode' is  for marking the message as
PERSISTENT or NON_PERSISTENT [1]. By default JMS  messages are made
persistent ( stored in persistent storage to be delivered later if needed).
The only accepted values are 1 and 2;

1- Non persistent
2- Persistent

Hence we can't use any other value for this attribute when sending a
message.

>> Due to the performance concerns there will be a maximum message limit of
>> 200, that is displayed in the queue browser UI, even though the given queue
>> may have a larger amount of messages.  At the moment this can be configured
>> in the qpid_config.xml if necessary (explained in the documentation).
>>
>> However I would like to know that whether we should allow this is to be
>> configured into a higher amount as there is a possibility of crashing, when
>>

> MB uses Cassandra, right? Isn't it the right place to store data instead
> of memory?

Yes the messages are in the storage. But the queue browser returns an
enumeration of the content of a queue [2], in runtime, and if there are
larger amount of messages in the queue (say 100,000) the enumeration loads
this entire content into memory. This makes the server crashes. By default
there are only 200 messages fetched, however if the user increases this
value a lot, it fails. I think Hasitha is going to update the configuration
documentation with proper 'Warnings' about these outcomes.

Ishara

[1] http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/jms/DeliveryMode.html
[2]
http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/1.4/api/javax/jms/QueueBrowser.html#getEnumeration%28%29