One problem with #2 is that it means the contributor need not have created
an account on the ASF JIRA.

Generally I think of this as an advantage, since making yet another account
is a pretty high bar for participation from casuals. But! We rely on the
information in JIRA for authorship when making release notes, right?

I usually rely on git commits for authorship/review information when
judging things like community activity, but maybe others are relying on
JIRA?