It would make no sense merging both.

From an end-user perspective, I guess both are equivalent, although with the last commit I made, the Zeppelin Display system is supported in 702 (I had no luck when testing this functionality with 208). As I said, feel free to test both and send feature requests.

From a developer perspective, I will reiterate the points I sent on [1] which are addressed in 702 (these points make sense to me but didn't receive echo so far - would like to get feedback on these):

1.- Use rscala jar instead of forking -> allows to support the platform version (scala version...) and benefit from the rscala project new versions with patches without having to maintain in the zeppelin source tree fork.

2.- Just like Python, develop R in the Spark module

3.- Support the same behavior asthe rest (no TABLE when output is a dataframe, support the HTML, TABLE and IMG display system, support the Dynamic Form system).

I still have the Dynamic Form system operational.

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-zeppelin-dev/201512.mbox/%3C5683E471.9010001%40apache.org%3E