I wanted to share this section of my recent report to the board (I've
also gotten permission to share the board's response)

> A discussion is currently under way regarding the possibility of> merging the
> recently open sourced "Curator" source base from> Netflix. These are client
> implementations of ZooKeeper "recipes"> (e.g. leadership election, group
> membership, etc...) which simplify> the act of using ZooKeeper in client side
> applications.>> The authors of Curator are unwilling to join the incubator,
> this is> based on their past experience as well as some of the ongoing
> issues> they are seeing wrt projects entering the incubator. They have>
> expressed a preference to come in either as a subproject or as a> separate
> release artifact of the TLP.

to which the board responded:

Doug Cutting (chairman):
+               Long-term, do you think that Curator will have an
+               indepdendent community from Zookeeper?  If so, then it
+               ought to enter through the Incubator.  If not then the
+               code might still enter through the incubator for
+               resolution of IP issues, but then transfer relatively
+               quickly to live under the Zookeeper PMC.  Or the
+               Zookeeper PMC could directly adopt the code, although
+               you might not immediately add its committers to the
+               project but rather have them first contribute patches
+               through the normal process until their community merit
+               is established.

Sam Ruby:
+ suggested that the "short form" of the incubator's IP clearance
process would be appropriate if Zookeeper directly adopts this code.

The short form can be found here:
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

I personally still feel that incubator is the best place for starting
this. I have a good track record as a podling mentor and I feel
strongly that we could quickly/successfully incubate this project and
graduate (given there's strong leadership by the Curator committers
themselves).

Patrick